Saturday, September 19, 2026

Late Roman Archers

 It’s been a little over a month since my Late Roman warband last hit the table. Following their last outing, I picked up two units of bow-armed Warriors. I hoped to field them last Thursday night, but the paint was still drying! I finished them up Friday evening, and they’re officially ready for the front lines.


Thursday night’s match saw me face off against the Picts. The games were held at the Abyss, the room was buzzing with six active SAGA tables, three of which were running the Ambush scenario. With our annual Grand Melee coming up in November, players are getting in as much practice as possible with their final warband rosters.

The Picts enter the table through their fields

The Romans are bunched up due to the terrain and
the scenario entry requirements

The Pict War Lord in all his glory

The wagons advance between  the battle lines



Two wagons are taken, one by each side

My casualties can be seen to the left of the green dice,
which sit on top of a swamp feature. My initial entry
point was to the left of the hill. I avoided the swamp.

End of the game. One wagon escaped.
Both sides fade back with their loot.

I was lucky. By the end of the second turn, I had eliminated both the opposing Warlord and his Hearthguard. Though I lost a six-man Hearthguard Cavalry unit in the process, it was a trade I was more than willing to make. The Picts managed to capture the first wagon, but I seized one during my following phase. The third and final wagon escaped us both. Under the scenario rules, the game ended in a draw, but taking down the enemy Warlord secured me one extra victory point for the edge.

8 comments:

  1. I call that a winning draw, right? Great to see the new reinforcements pressed into action straight away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good looking figures and game. That Pictish chieftain is a ripper isn't he?
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks games, the Victrix Gaelic chariots are pretty impressive and Eric did a fantastic job preparing the one he choose for his warlord.

      Delete
  3. well played. I was curious what size bases are your wagons on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure, the wagons and terrain were all provided for my barbarian opponent.

      Delete
  4. Great looking figures and gaming!

    ReplyDelete